Welcome to the CMLS website
The medical laboratory science profession in Australia now has its own national professional certification scheme.
Representatives from AIMS, AACB, ASM, HGSA, ASC, ANZSBT, ASCIA, FSA, THANZ, ACS, and HSA have all worked together to design a model of medical laboratory science certification for professionals, no matter their chosen discipline.
The initial scheme launched in 2020 and a revised operating model, aimed at reducing costs to certificants came into operation in mid 2023.
Certified Medical Laboratory Practitioners - Changes to Operations
From April 2023, the CMLS Board are no longer accepting applications for certification directly. Instead, professional bodies operating CMLS approved CPD schemes will be able to issue certification on behalf of the Council for their members meeting the criteria below.
Those individuals who are not members of any of the professional bodies offering CPD recording and verification are strongly encouraged to join their relevant association but may opt to record their CPD via AIMS APACE as a non-member- see https://www.aims.org.au/apace. AIMS will issue certification for those meeting the requirements.
The following minimum requirements must be met for your certification.
1. For a Medical Scientist or Clinical Scientist, a relevant degree in Science or Applied Science (AQF Level 7 or above) which permit membership as a scientist of a member organisation, or an overseas qualification assessed as equivalent by the Australian Institute of Medical and Clinical Scientists, or an associate qualification conferred by the Australian Institute of Medical Technologists before 1st December 1973.
2. In addition, for a Clinical Scientist, one or more of the following qualifications:
3. For a Technical Officer, documentary evidence of completing a relevant VET sector course at AQF 5 or 6 which permits membership as a technical officer of a member organisation (or higher relevant qualification such as a science degree), or an overseas qualification assessed as equivalent by the Australian Institute of Medical and Clinical Scientists.
4. Minimum 2 years relevant recent experience for a Technical Officer or Medical Scientist, and minimum 5 years relevant experience for a Clinical Scientist.
5. Declaration of competency assessment, in their current role, by applicant's supervisor using the CMLS pro forma. (Download pro forma)
7. Meeting the requirements for CPD from an accredited CPD provider in the previous 2 years.
With the move to certification being linked to meeting the CPD requirements of the relevant professional body, issuing Provisional Certification for those who have yet to meet CPD goals and any concessions to CPD requirements for those with breaks in service (such as maternity leave) are at the discretion of the individual professional body.
Scientists and Technical Officers who are currently employed and have met the qualification requirements but do not yet have the minimum 2 years relevant recent experience and CPD record may apply to their professional body for conditional certification.
They must still provide a declaration from their supervisor that they are employed in a relevant role but with less than 2 years experience and that they are undertaking ongoing training and competency assessment. Applicants for conditional certification also need to commit to participate in CPD activities and recording.
Conditional certification will run for a maximum of two years, after which they will be required to undergo competency assessment and meet CPD requirements to transition to full certification.